Saturday, July 6, 2013

Orthodox Church of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God (or Orthodox Church of St Prince Vladimir...) in Narva-Jõesuu

Visited June 8, 2013

I am not sure I have the name of this church correct. the website I often use to find more information on a church, Wayfarer's Churches 2013, lists the church as Orthodox Church of St Prince Vladimir in Narva-Jõesuu. And as best as I can tell from the picture, this is the church I saw.



However, the sign on the church, as best I can tell, says this is the church of the Mother of God Kaazan Icon.

The website says that the Orthodox Church of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God is in Sillamäe. I did visit the church they have pictured as well, but it was built in 1990 and is way too new for this blog.

At an rate, the church I visited in Narva-Jõesuu is definitely the church that was built in 1867 and moved to Narva-Jõesuu from Mereküla in 1948. It is an adorable little church with the beautiful icons you expect of an orthodox church on the inside...




...and the cute wood carved creatures you might expect to find in the Great Smokey Mountains on the outside.



There was a sweet old lady at the church who spoke no English but did speak both Russian and Estonian who let us in and who sold my in-laws, who visited with us, a lovely souvenir to take back to the states.

1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    I think there is/was two Vladimir Orthodox Church in Narva-Joesuu, Estonia.

    1) : Church of St. Prince Vladimir
    This church was moved to Narva-Joesuu from Merekula in 1948.

    2) : Vladimir's Orthodox Church (Estonian name: Wladimeri kirik)
    Built in 1893, by architect A. Ivanov. This beautiful five onion domes church was destroyed during the World War 2.
    There is a plan to restore this beautiful Vladimir's Orthodox Church in Narva-Joesuu.

    ReplyDelete