Tuesday, April 2, 2013

St Lawrence´s Lutheran Church in Pühalepa

Visited March 27, 2013


The last church I visited while out on Hiiumaa was St Lawrence´s Lutheran Church in Pühalepa.

Built in the 1200s, it is apparently the oldest building on the island. The church was turned into a grain store in 1951 but was restored to the congregation and re-consecrated in 1993. Choir vaults and painted crosses on the Western wall, none of which I got to see (darned locks!) are from the Middle Ages and the 19th century. There is a baroque funeral chapel in the churchyard that belonged to the Unger-Stenbock family.


 
 
EDIT:
I revisited the church on June 14, 2014, and was able to take a few more pictures. I thought I would share them with you. The inner door was still locked, but the outer wasn't, so I got a shot of the interior this time.
 


 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment