Friday, August 17, 2012

Jaani Kirik and Uspensky Orthodox in Tartu

Visited March 24, 2011 and October 6, 2012

Actually, I started taking pictures of Estonian churches even before I moved here.

My actual first pictures were taken when I was here for language immersion in March of 2011. And my first pictures were taken in Tartu, where we stayed as sort of our jumping off point for our excursions into the country.

Orthodox Church of the Dormition of Theotokos in Tartu (Uspensky Cathedral) was first constructed by Dominicans in the 13th century as the Church of Mary Magdelene. A stone church built there in 1753 was destroyed by fire in 1775, and the current church was built in 1783.

ON EDIT: I got back there this weekend and too a few extra shots.





The next church I took a shot of, which is nearly as bad, is of Jaani Kirik, or St. John's Lutheran Church, built in 1400.


ON EDIT: Took a few more shots of this one too...it is hard to get shots of it because it is close to the street and there is a building on the opposite side of the street equally close, so it is hard to get the distance you need to get a good shot.



No comments:

Post a Comment