Friday, August 24, 2012

St. Peter and St. Paul Lutheran Church in Kaarma, Saaremaa

Visited May 20, 2012 and August 4, 2012

Although I photographed quite a few churches before this one, this is the church that started it all, the church that started my project.

St. Peter and St. Paul Lutheran Church in Kaarma, Saaremaa.

I picked this church because it is one of the oldest churches in Estonia, built in the 13th century, and has on it what is likely the oldest example of written Estonian, from 1407.

I've visited the church twice...because I was interested in the pagan symbols that are in some of earliest Estonian churches, and I TOTALLY MISSED the ginourmous pentacle on the wall by the pulpit in the church.
Even without the pentacle though, which is pretty darned awesome, the church is really incredible. So I wanted to share some other shots with you.


No comments:

Post a Comment