Saturday, September 29, 2012

St. Michael's Lutheran in Keila

Visited September 29, 2012

I was finally able to get out to another church today.

Well, actually, I photographed St. Basil's Cathedral in Moscow earlier in the week, but that isn't in Estonia!

This is St. Michael's Lutheran in Keila. We passed it on the way out to Paldiski, but I am glad I was able to stop.

St. Michael's is the biggest medieval country church in Harju county. Around 1280, they established a square chapel at "Keila hill," located on the site of the current chancel of the church. Fragments of the paintings on the chancel walls could date from this period.

The main body of the church was built in the first half of the 14th century as a simple unvaulted box-like building. The church was destroyed in 1558 during the Livonian War and was restored in 1596.






I didn't get to go inside (it was locked), but I walked around outside. There are a number of pretty cool mausoleums around it. I wish I could have spent more time there.

No comments:

Post a Comment